The Building, Grading, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Electrical Permit Process
Effective January 1, 2011
The 2010 California Building, Residential, Fire, Green Building Standards,
Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing Codes as amended by the City of Tustin
shall become effective for all plan check applications. (Ordinances 1386 and 1387)
The Building Division regulates construction and occupancy of all residential, commercial, and industrial building construction projects such as on-site improvements, tenant improvements, room additions, alterations, grading, erosion control, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical improvements, new installations, alterations, modifications, or replacements of systems. In this role, the following services are provided:
The following steps are followed in the permitting process:
- Planning, Zoning and Business Licensing Clearance: Before a building permit can be issued, it must be determined that the proposed project is consistent with applicable planning and zoning regulations. Contact the Planner of the Day at (714) 573-3140 for information related to planning, zoning, and business licensing.
- Building Permit Application: Once planning and zoning clearance is obtained, the building permit application and plans are submitted to the Building Division. A property owner, California licensed contractor, or an authorized agent for the owner must complete and sign the application. Call one of the Building Technicians at (714) 573-3131 or (714) 573-3132 during normal business hours to request an application or to determine whether you need a permit.
- Plan Review and Turnaround Times: When a building permit application and plans have been submitted, the Building Division reviews the plans to ensure compliance with all applicable codes and regulations prior to issuing a permit.
Plan Submittal: Depending upon the type of project, required plans or "working drawings" may include a site plan, foundation plan, floor plan, framing plan, framing details, cross sections, building elevations, roof plan, or ceiling joist/T-bar ceiling plan. When applicable electrical plan, plumbing plan, mechanical plan, energy calculation, structural calculations. Plans are typically prepared by licensed contractors, architects, or engineers.
For "do-it-yourself" types, standard details for the following types of projects are available at the Building Counter:
- Pools and Spas
- Residential Room Additions
- Patio Covers
- Retaining Walls
- Fences and Walls
- Furnaces and Water Heaters
- Patio Slabs and Walkways
- Built-in Outdoor Barbecues
- Commercial Tenant Improvements
- Drywall Installations
- Suspended Ceilings
Plan Check Fees: Fees are determined by the City Council and are collected at the time of plan check submittal. Collected fees will provide a typical plan check service.
Turnaround Times: Typical plan review times are outlined below:
Over-the-Counter Plan Checks: Typical projects include patio covers, pools and spas, signs, reroofing, and masonry walls where plans are provided based on the Building Division's standard details. Two sets of plans are required.
Standard Plan Check: Projects that do not qualify for either over-the-counter plan check or quick check are processed as a standard review. Standard reviews are typically completed within 7 to 14 working days. Four (4) sets of plans are required and three (3) additional sets if OCFA review is required.
- Building Permit Issuance and Collection of Fees: All fees are determined by the City Council and are collected at the time of permit issuance. Collected fees will provide inspection services for a permitted project. Call the Building Technicians at (714) 573-3131 or (714) 573-3132 for information regarding the most current fee schedule.
- Inspections: The Building Division inspects projects at various stages of completion to ensure compliance with accepted building construction practices and regulations. The Building Technicians can assist you in determining what types of inspections will be required for a project. Click here for the Online Inspection Request Form.
Inspection Requests: To request an inspection of a project under construction, please call the inspection request line at (714) 573-3141 and leave your permit number, project address and name of the contact person one day in advance. Click here for the Online Inspection Request Form.